Kusksu - Our Easter Favourite
After years of cooking Maltese food, I am of the opinion that some of the best dishes are Maltese soups. They are inexpensive and easy to make. Using local ingredients that are in season. This is where Maltese dishes really shine.
· 1kg fresh broad beans, peeled twice
· ½ kunserva (approx. 6 tbsp)
· 2 onions, peeled and sliced
· 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
· 100g kusksu pasta or Barilla ‘Tempesta’
· 100g fresh peas
· Salt and pepper
· 1 chicken or vegetable stock cube
· Parmesan cheese to garnish
· 6 fresh gbejniet
· Approx 1 litre of water
· 2 tbsp butter
· 2 tbsp good olive oil
1. Toss the onions and potatoes in butter and oil heated over medium heat.
2. Add the prepared beans and peas and toss once or twice.
3. Add the kunserva and stir well.
4. Add water to cover, and the crumbled stock cube.
5. Season with salt and pepper and ontinue to cook until the beans are soft (approx 20 mins).
6. Add the pasta beads, stir well, and continue cooking, until these are transparent, (another 20 mins).
7. Serve this soup with a sprinkling of freshly grated Parmesan cheese, and fresh ġbejna per person.
This recipe first appeared in Gourmet Today magazine, March, 2016.